Sun, sports & splashing in the lake. Welcome to Klagenfurt!
In Klagenfurt you’ll experience the advantages of an eventful city trip and a relaxing lakeside holiday all at once. The lake Wörthersee offers something for everyone: pleasurable bathing for water lovers, cool refreshment for athletes, beautiful beaches for sunbathers and cosy shadowy spots for privacy seekers.
You surely won’t get bored here thanks to the broad sports options that Klagenfurt offers. Over 200 kinds of sports like tennis, biking, swimming, riding or hiking can be practised in the most beautiful surrounding. Furthermore there are countless gyms and fitness centres, a big golf court as well as a challenging fitness course.
In the evening you’ll explore the charm of Carinthia’s capital strolling through the lovely alleys. Get to know the legendary history of the lindworm city and let yourself be inspired by old and new sights.
AllYouNeed Tour Guide
To make it a bit easier for you to choose between the endless possibilities of sport, fun and sightseeing, we have compiled some tours - in order to give you a little aid to orientation.
or: Around the world in one day at Minimundus!
The children at the breakfast table are already excited about the upcoming tour – because it takes only a few minutes by foot from the hotel to Minimundus! The miniature world at Lake Wörthersee is the perfect place to have fun and learn interesting things. There are about 150 models of famous buildings and vehicles that take the visitors on a trip around the world in miniature format. One of the most thrilling miniatures is of the Space Shuttle that sets off into the sky every hour.
For the little brave ones the adventure is not over yet – they can prove their daringness at the Reptile Zoo Happ, right next to Minimundus. It shelters Austria's greatest Reptile exhibition and features turtles, saurian, fishes and snakes. You can even touch the snakes or let them curl around your neck – if you dare – to take a picture.
For the future astronauts who already loved the Space Shuttle at Minimundus and want to come back for more, there is the planetarium right around the corner. It hosts amazing shows that lead you to the end of the universe and back or show you how the landing on the moon took place.
Now it is the time to explore the Inner City of Klagenfurt. To get there, we can take the electronic ship "Lendwurm" which takes us along the ancient "Lendkanal" (an old water channel), that leads directly to the city center. Take a rest and stop by at one of the various restaurants to get ready to pass the fitness trail at the Kreuzbergl! Start right between the Fischerwirt and the botanical garden and see if your parents will be able to keep up with you!
When dusk is falling, we are ready to track the secrets of the legendary old Klagenfurt. At the Kramergasse you will find the so-called "Wörthersee-Mandl". According to a legend, it was actually responsible for the creation of Lake Wörthersee. The legend says that the "Mandl" was once alive and so angry about the carefree and clamant citizens of Klagenfurt that it opened its little barrel and flooded the city with an endless jet of water.
Going a little further you will reach the square "Neuer Platz". In the middle of it dwells the Lindwurm, the eerie landmark of Klagenfurt am Wörthersee. Seek to find out all about its legendary history or maybe you will discover other hints to one of the many more mysterious legends and things to explore here in Klagenfurt.
Enjoy the Wörthersee lifestyle and flair! Sun, sports and splashing in the lake - What do you want more?
- Lido Klagenfurt: enjoy sun, fun and entertainment at a low price with a day ticket. The lido Klagenfurt offers various ways to have a good time for guests of all ages: the new slide tower, free WLAN, children race track, a large trampoline, a Segway parcours and much more.
- "Klagenfurter Altstadtzauber": (Old Town Magic Festival). This is the big city festival in Klagenfurt! Magicians, stiltwalkers, jugglers on the streets and in the alleyways, live bands on the squares and thousands of people strolling around are amazed by the magic of the spectacle unfolding before their eyes in Klagenfurt's old town centre. In the meantime, visitors can enjoy a delicious snack at one of the many open-air gastronomy stands, or have a cool drink at one of the numerous outdoor bars, then enjoy rummaging around at one of the largest flea markets and jumble sales in Austria – exclusively at the Old Town Magic Festival! Klagenfurter Altstadt, free admission.
- "Kärnten Card": The Kärnten Card (Carinthia Card) is the key to adventure, fun and lots of advantages. It opens the doors to more than 100 destinations in Carinthia, and you may return to your favourite attractions on as many days as you like. Furthermore we have more than 60 bonus partners, who allow exclusive reductions to all visitors with Kärnten Card. The Kärnten Card is valid through October 26th 2015 and its use is unlimited!
- Specials for students on Wednesdays: Every Wednesday, a lot of bars, shops and cultural institutions have great special offers for every student up to 30. Bring your student ID! Partners & Details (sorry, only in German).
Sport & Nature
- Carinthia runs ("Kärnten Läuft"): The fitness event entitled "Carinthia Runs" (Kärnten Läuft) is a credit to its name. Everyone will find the right level of sports, ranging from a kiddies run to a half marathon, every length of course and difficulty level is available. Start at Ostbucht, Klagenfurt.
- Cycling in & around Klagenfurt: Klagenfurt is the ideal place to take a bike tour. The city offers a 120 kilometre long network of perfectly main- tained cycling routes. Enjoy the diversity of Carinthia's capital city by taking one of the provided cycling tours for all interests and degrees of difficulty. Visit this site.
- Carinthia Botany Center, Botanic Garden: an insider's tip for nature lovers. Open May – Sept every day 10 am - 6 pm, free entry.
- Skatepark at the Europapark Klagenfurt: In summer, the skatepark is popular meeting point for youths. On about 10.000 square metres, the area offers lots of barriers for the young artists to prove their ability. Open from April to October.
- Taking a walk through the Europapark: with a green area of about 22 hectare, the Europapark is one of the largest parks in Austria. It is located between the Lake Wörthersee and the lido Klagenfurt, and near the Lendkanal and Minimundus. Various free leisure facilities, such as open air chess, children's playground or a beach volley court offer recreation for everyone.
- Gustav Mahler Memorial: The famous composer Gustav Mahler died more than a hundred years ago - take the chance to visit the Mahler memorial site. It is only a ten-minute walk from the parking lot of Maiernigg lido, you can also easily take the bus from Klagenfurt. Opening hours: 1 May to 31 October.
- City Gallery Klagenfurt: Special offer on Fridays! Every first Friday of the month you can enter for free and take a free tour through the current exhibition. Entry is usually free of charge for students. Opening hours: Tue-Sun 10 am - 6 pm.
- Parish church tower: the 91,7 metre high parish church tower of St. Egyd has an observation platform and offers a marvelous view of the Old Town and panoramic view above the Lake Wörthersee, the Karawanken and the Koralpe. It is worth climbing the 225 stairs! "Glockenspiel" at the top of the hour. Open: 10 April - 10 October: Mo - Fri 10 am - 5.30 pm, Sat 10 am - 12.30 pm; closed on Sundays and public Holidays.
- Robert Musil House: Permanent exhibitions by Robert Musil, Ingeborg Bachmann and Christine Lavant in the house where the world-class Austrian writer was born. Open Mo-Fri 10 am – 5 pm; closed on Sundays and public holidays. Free Entry!
- Carinthia Museum of Modern Art (MMKK): The Carinthian Museum of Modern Art holds solo and theme shows of works by young as well as established regional, national and international artists. After Work – Museum at the evening: Free entry every Thursday from 6 pm – 8 pm, tour included!
- Coat-of-arms-hall at the Landhaus building: opening hours 31 Mar – 29 Dec every Mo-Sat 9 am – 5 pm.
or: Feeling like a prince and princess
After enjoying a marvelous breakfast on our rooftop terrace, the day starts on the peninsula Loretto with its idyllic lido. There you can savor silent moment's right in front of the castle Maria Loretto. With water temperatures around 28 degrees, it is not hard to overcome your inhibitions for a jump into the lake.
Afterwards you can borrow a bike right at the lido to make a short trip to the city center. If you want to explore the city by foot, the bike can be returned easily at the tourist information. Experience the rural flair of Klagenfurt at the "Benediktinerplatz" – on market days (Thursday, Friday and Saturday) farmers from around Carinthia, Friaul and Slovenia offer their delicious goods.
On the market place, you will surely notice the figure "Der Steinerne Fischer" one of the most popular figures from on the many myths of Klagenfurt. According to the legend, it is a dishonest marketer who tried to betray his customers and turned to stone therefore - it is a monument to all present marketers to keep up to their honesty. After a relaxed walk past the City Gallery and various boutiques you reach the "Salzamt" at the famous "Landhaushof". Relish the delicious and inexpensive lunch menu there!
An unforgettable afternoon starts with a romantic boat trip on the Wörthersee, past the summer residences which played their part in so many movies. Take your time to enjoy a coffee or two at the picturesque village of Krumpendorf or take a break from your tour in Pörtschach. The next boat will comfortably take you back to Klagenfurt.
To top the day off, be part of the enchanting Musical Night at the lake stage! The annual Wörthersee – Festival presents great musical productions as well as concerts. Finally, let the evening draw to an end over a glass of champagne – or two. You hotel is just a few steps away...